Bad Side Of The Moon - Elton John Forum

Watford Football Club Is Forever In My Heart Read

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 14/12/2014, 10:40     +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

http://www.watfordfc.com/news/article/1512...ch-2141112.aspx

WATFORD legend Sir Elton John made a moving pre-match speech from the centre-circle today - accompanied by his family - as his visit officially declared Vicarage Road's Sir Elton John Stand open.

While partner David Furnish and sons Zachary & Elijah watched on from close quarters, an emotional Honorary Life-President told 15,000 Hornets' fans that "Watford Football Club is forever in my heart".

Sir Elton reminisced of his first visit to the stadium before paying tribute to the stability the club now enjoys under its current ownership.

"Thank you very very much - this is one of the greatest days of my life," said a clearly choked former owner-chairman as he took the mic in on the pitch.

"When I was six years old I used to come and stand over there," he added, pointing to what used to be the cinder bank in the south-west corner of the ground.

"I never thought I'd ever have a stand named after me. I never thought I'd sit in a stand!" he quipped, an acknowledgement of just how much he achieved for the Hornets after taking over as chairman in 1976.

"To the people at the club, including those in the background, the home supporters and away supporters, the owner, the chairman and the board of directors: you have treated me with so much love and a love for football.

"Watford Football is forever in my heart!"

After a chorus of 'Elton John's Taylor-Made Army' rang round the four stands, Sir Elton resumed his speech.

"I want thank the Pozzo family for moving this club forward in the modern era.

"The club is in safe hands.

"It's in the top 25 clubs in England and we should be very proud of that - and that's due to my friends up there the Pozzo family," he stressed, pointing up towards the Directors' Box seating in The Graham Taylor Stand.

"I'm sure that Dave Whelan has done the same for Wigan, a fantastic club. He is a great chairman and a great leader of a great club that came from out of the league to where they are now. I salute him.

"And I salute the Watford fans who have given me so much love over so many years."

His final rousing words brought Vicarage Road to its feet.

"Let's continue to have success. Let's get to the Premiership. Look at this ground! Can you believe it?!

"Thank you Watford! Come on you Horns!"

0 replies since 14/12/2014, 10:40   22 views